Thursday, October 14, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday - A Sign from Grandma

Now, I know that many would think when talking about treasures, you would expect to see old family jewels, or silver, china or even the family bible.  I don't have any of that from my Grandma, Doris Wade Smith, except for a few pieces of newer jewelry, but what really excited me is the sign I got from the beauty salon that she ran from her home in Mt. Vernon, IL in the 1950's & 60's.  When she died, I helped my mom and aunt clean out her apartment and when I saw this sign, I squealed with excitement!  Oddly, neither of them was interested so it went in my pile.

There were other treasures gleaned from that day, but those are to be revealed at another time.  It's just a crudely painted sign on a thin old board, but to me it's a wonderful memory of days spent at Grandma' "booty shop".  It's something I will treasure forever.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's a wonderful sign, similar to many I remember from that time period. Very quaint. I would treasure it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have squealed, too. That sign is just as valuable as heirloom jewels. Thanks for sharing this bit of your family's history.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...